I am a dragon at heart.

No, I don't breathe fire (well my demi-demons might argue that), and I don't spit acid. I do collect gems. And I wish I had some mystical power.

But beyond all that, if there's a dragon in the vicinity, I'm so there.

And that leads me to one of my favorite Christmas memories. I confess, this is a totally materialistic memory, but even now, many years later, it's very dear to my heart.

For years, years, years, I suffered through everyone buying me what they thought I wanted, and never paying attention to the things I'd mention. The last time I can recall a Christmas where I was literally squealing when I opened the wrapping paper, was as a child.

But one year, perhaps after I spent the majority of the year subtly (okay, not so subtly) remarking that just because I was grown didn't mean I had to have sensible gifts and I could still enjoy the frivolous... I found heaven under my Christmas tree.

My mother finally stopped pretending she didn't have a dragon-wanna be in her house. And somehow she managed to find everything-dragon for me. Cute little dragon figurines, dragons in snow-globes, angry majestic dragons, and even hand-painted dragon plates.

Even better -- she signed up the entire family! My aunt joined the parade of dragons, and I had a couple dragon t-shirts plus more set-abouts. And a dragon pendant. My significant other found a dragon music box and he made it doubly exciting with pairing that gift with a Merlin music box.
(Why did I let him get away? :face-palm:)

In any case, at twenty....something.... I had a kids Christmas and was able to remember the magic of my childhood. I've never received another dragon, but those gifts, those priceless treasures, are fondly displayed in a hutch, all together, all there looking at me to remind me there's magic surrounding us.

I've been able to give that joy to my children, and relive the magic of Christmas through their eyes. That's more important. And frankly, far more memorable. But I saw that photo when I was browsing for something to include on my post, and well... the dragons just wouldn't be ignored!

But speaking of Christmas Magic, this year I released a very special Christmas story. A BROKEN CHRISTMAS digs into the hearts of two wounded people, who have only one thing remaining in their lives -- love. It's a romance that I hope will touch your heart.

A BROKEN CHRISTMAS
Contemporary Holiday Romance

The truest gifts are damaged ...

Delta Force operative Kyle Garland divorced his wife to protect her. His top-secret missions expose him to constant danger, and his world is full of lies and deceit. But the threat to Aimee doesn’t come in the form of insurgents or bombs. Rather, his soul-deep love and the dreams he silently nurtures are her greatest hazard. When a career-ending injury brings him home for Christmas, to keep her safe he must bury his feelings and hide the monster he’s become.

Fourteen months ago, Aimee had the perfect marriage… then Kyle blindsided her with a divorce. Now, he’s coming home, and she intends to get her answers. Yet the crippled man she confronts bears scars her years of nursing cannot heal. The secret he’s hiding is tearing him apart. No matter how she tries, he keeps her at a distance, despite the love that’s still evident in his kiss. What Aimee doesn’t know is her own damaged past terrifies Kyle more than any wartime horror.

As she forces him to confront his demons, will the holiday shred the fragile bonds they share, or will Christmas complete all their broken parts?

Read Excerpt

What about you -- Do you have a holiday memory that somehow completed you? In exchange for your stories, I have a gift for you.

One Random Commentor will Receive Two Special Prizes:

a - a .pdf copy of A Broken Christmas
b - a .pdf copy of my Yule novella, Destined to Die

I will post the winner here tomorrow!

Meanwhile -- DON'T FORGET this is part of the RomFan Reviews Holiday Blog Hop


Handsome here, will take you to the official list of all participating authors.

If you'd like to go directly to the next host, Jacquie Rogers is sharing her memory on the 27th.

For your convienence, here's a list of all participating authors and their Blog Hop dates -- remember, everyone has prizes to share. You can't win if you don't Hop!



Bobbi Brattz December 11th
Franny Armstrong December 12th
Regina Carlysle December 13th
Elizabeth Amber December 14th
Brita Addams December 15th
D.B. Reynolds December 16th
Beth Trissel December 17th
Tori St. Claire December 18th
Amy Romine December 19th
Skhye Moncrief December 20th
Carrie Ann Ryan December 21st
J.S. Wayne December 22nd
Shannan Albright December 23rd
Claire Ashgrove December 24th
Jacquie Rogers December 27th

Keta Diablo December 28th
Anne Holly December 29th
K.D. Grace December 30th

MERRY CHRISTMAS, everyone!




~Claire
www.claireashgrove.com
www.toristclaire.com

Labels: , ,

2 Responses so far.

  1. Hi, Claire.

    I enjoyed your post; it was a great read.

    I can't think of a Christmas that completed me; just each one was special in its own way.

    I wish you and yours a safe and fun-filled holiday season.

    Thanks,
    Tracey D
    booklover0226 at gmail dot com

  2. I can't think of a Christmas that completed me but I am glad to hear that you had one Christmas that was so special to you. Each of my Christmas' were special for one reason or another, some more than others. As long as I have my family, I am a happy person.
    Hope you have a safe & wonderful holiday!
    June M.
    manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com

Post a Comment

"Victorians used the term 'limbs' as a euphenism for legs, which were thought to be so sexually exciting to a man, even a glimpse of a table leg could incite him to sexual frenzy. Table skirts were invented to prevent any unnatural unions between men and furniture."
~
(History Channel International)

IMMORTAL TRUST is
AVAILABLE for PRE-ORDER




READ AN EXCERPT

GoddessFish Promotions

Goddess Fish Partner

Night Owl Romance

Night Owl Romance
For The Latest In Romance Reviews

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Coffee Time Romance

Coffee Time Romance
Blogging About Romance