Good morning everyone!  As I mentioned earlier this week, Katherine Grey is spending the week with us and giving us insight on her book, THE MUSE.  (How appropriate that her book is titled identically to the blog.)

We started off the week with a Tuesday Teaser that was awesome.  Today, Katherine's going to talk about the magic of secondary characters.  Before I turn the blog over to her, let's take another peek at The Muse.

THE MUSE
Katherine Grey

Noted poet Blaine Hobson counts the Prince Regent among his patrons. But ever since the socialite he wished to marry took her life, he has been unable to compose a single line of poetry. With a sonnet commissioned by the Regent due in a few weeks, Blaine spends his time alternating between trying to write...and wishing he had the courage to join his beloved in the grave.

Raised in an orphanage with her sister, seamstress Emma Tompkins lives with the guilt of her sibling’s death. Accidently finding a suicide note penned by Blaine, she resolves to keep him alive at all costs. Vigilant, she returns each day, pushing her way into his home--and losing her heart.

Can Blaine forget his beloved and return the affections of the seamstress? Or once finished with his work, will he cast Emma out of his life forever?

On that note, I yield the floor to Katherine!

~~~~~~

Help, I’ve Fallen for My Secondary Character


Have you ever found yourself liking a secondary character so much you want to know his story as well as the hero and heroine’s? That’s what happened to me as I wrote The Muse.

While I loved writing about Blaine, a tortured poet who can no longer compose a single line of poetry, I found myself just as intrigued with a secondary character named Lazarus. Lazarus suddenly appeared one day out of the mist and acted as a brotherly protector to Emma, the heroine. He was a criminal, yet as honorable as Blaine. I was instantly intrigued by him.

As I wrote, I kept finding myself adding subplots involving Lazarus. It was like he was determined to be in the book. Unfortunately, I had to keep going back and taking them out because the manuscript had to be under a certain page count as I had been asked to submit the story as a novella.

Here’s a short excerpt from The Muse involving Lazarus:

~~@~~

Blaine glanced behind him. The little man still stood under the same tree as before.

“He’ll tell Lazarus.”

“Who is this Lazarus?” Blaine frowned. She didn’t seem frightened but very worried instead.

“He watches over me.” She met his gaze, her own turbulent, and said, “He saved me from being attacked. A few days later, both men were found floating in the Thames. I’m not saying he killed them, but…”

“It does seem a bit coincidental,” Blaine finished.

She nodded. “There are other rumours, rumours of things he’s done for those under his protection.”

“Do you believe these tales?”

She fidgeted with the ribbon of her cloak and looked away. “I don’t want to believe he is capable of such things,” she said after a long moment.

~~@~~


Have you ever wanted to know or write a secondary character’s story so much that he or she threatens to take over the story or your interest?


~~~~~~~

Oh yes, Katherine, I have.  So much so that I had to put that in a workshop on how to get them out before they did take over.  Laugh!  I completely understand the love and frustration.

So tell us what you think readers -- Katherine would love to hear your responses!

And while you're thinking about that answer, put it on your calendar to come back Monday.  Katherine will be giving away a copy of The Muse as part of our Monday Pick Me Up feature!  But if you just can't wait to get your hands on Blaine and Lazarus, The Muse is available at The Wild Rose Press.

Thank you, Katherine for coming by today.


A Little More About Katherine

When Katherine started talking to her friends about the characters in her head as though they were real people, she decided it was time to start putting all those people populating her mind along with their exploits down on paper. A chance meeting with another writer led Katherine to seriously pursue a writing career. Her debut novel, Impetuous, was released by The Wild Rose Press in August 2011.


Friends have gotten used to Katherine’s imaginary friends but still often ask, “Wait, is this a real person?” whenever she mentions someone they don’t know.

Katherine lives in upstate NY with her family, but threatens to move South at the beginning of every winter season.

You can find her on Facebook
Or on her blog
Or on Goodreads


~Claire
www.claireashgrove.com
www.toristclaire.com

Labels: , ,

8 Responses so far.

  1. I have trouble when my secondary characters are children. They worm their way in, over and over. When they do, I know it's time for a trip to visit my own grandchildren. Great excerpt, by the way. Quite telling.

  2. Hi Vonnie,
    I haven't written any characters that were children yet but I can easily imagine how they would want to "take over." I like books that have children in them, especially when they are toddler age up to about 8 or so. I find them so engaging and much more fun to read about than teenagers. :o)

    I'm glad you liked the excerpt. Thank you for stopping by.

  3. It's a constant problem, Katherine! I have one right now that I have to absolutely ruthless with as she tries to take over plot. She's also one of those characters who will never get her own book, so I can't put her on the back burner. She's as revolting as she is fascinating and I adore her! It's a challenge to keep her character in check.

  4. Hi Karyn,

    Wow, I'm intrigued by her just from your comment. Maybe you'll be able to find a way to redeem her enough to give her her own story. Or maybe that could be her story -- one of redemption. Sorry, don't mean to tell you how to handle your characters but she really does sound interesting.

  5. Katherine,
    Was Blaine a secondary character in Impetuous? So glad to see that he got his own story! Can't wait to read it.

  6. Hi Lilly,

    You're right, Blaine was a secondary character in Impetuous. I hope you like it as much as Impetuous. Thank you for stopping by. :o)

  7. I feel like I'm having that problem at the moment. I seem to like my hero's cousin more than I do him. I'm sure that can't be good. Nice excerpt, Katherine. I really need to check out this book. :)

  8. Hi Melissa.
    Sounds like the cousin deserves his own book. :o) One good thing about liking our secondary characters so much is that we already have characters and ideas for that next book. Glad you liked the excerpt.

Post a Comment

"Victorians used the term 'limbs' as a euphenism for legs, which were thought to be so sexually exciting to a man, even a glimpse of a table leg could incite him to sexual frenzy. Table skirts were invented to prevent any unnatural unions between men and furniture."
~
(History Channel International)

IMMORTAL TRUST is
AVAILABLE for PRE-ORDER




READ AN EXCERPT

GoddessFish Promotions

Goddess Fish Partner

Night Owl Romance

Night Owl Romance
For The Latest In Romance Reviews

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Coffee Time Romance

Coffee Time Romance
Blogging About Romance