I've been working with editors for a while now, and have really been blessed with wonderful experiences. But I must confess, despite having been through the wringer a few times, I was a little worried about what might happen with a new publishing house.

There's always the questions -- what standards are they adhering to? How intensive is this? How exactly does the process work? And even better -- how different is this going to be?

Well, I received my first editorial letter, and I'm happy to say, all that nail biting was for naught. It was, quite frankly, the nicest letter I could have imagined. But still, when I heard the words, "I'm sending my editorial letter," I found myself stumped. What was this new thing, and why did it sound so formal?

In contrast to sending a manuscript full of comments and inserts, it's a bullet point document containing my editors thoughts, suggestions, and questions. Not so frightening after all.

And, to top it all off, when I had questions of my own, my editor was super-friendly and approachable. Course, I had to pace the kitchen for a half an hour, nibble down a few fingernails, and call my agent to gain courage to call my editor. I attribute this to what I call "Editor-fear". For those fantasy buffs, or those gamers out there, consider this a modified "Dragon-fear."

For the rest of you -- it's being enchanted, impressed, but the mere presence strikes fear into hearts. It freezes you in place. Not because there's any danger, necessarily, just the status, the magnificence.

So yes. I was suffering from Editor-Fear. And it required a successful role to overcome it enough to pick up the phone and consider my editor as a normal person, not a big scary being a thousand miles away who possesses an all-seeing eye.

I'm glad I did. I'm so much more at ease with both the project, and my editor. We laughed. We had a brief conversation about our ordinary lives, we shared a couple similiar experiences. And overall, it was an extremely pleasant experience.

I'm sure, as time goes on, that editor-fear will diminish. I'm also sure, for the short duration, I'm still going to lose a few fingernails before I'm comfortable totally just picking up the phone. But, I can say without hesitation, I am absolutely looking forward to the coming months now.

And on that note, back to edits I go. Strangely, they are kinda fun.

~Claire
www.claireashgrove.com

~Claire
www.claireashgrove.com
www.toristclaire.com

Labels: , , ,

2 Responses so far.

  1. Good to know!! Glad your experience worked out well.

  2. And all the writers said, Amen! I so get this. I would think it is the same with each new editor you come across.

Post a Comment

"Victorians used the term 'limbs' as a euphenism for legs, which were thought to be so sexually exciting to a man, even a glimpse of a table leg could incite him to sexual frenzy. Table skirts were invented to prevent any unnatural unions between men and furniture."
~
(History Channel International)

IMMORTAL TRUST is
AVAILABLE for PRE-ORDER




READ AN EXCERPT

GoddessFish Promotions

Goddess Fish Partner

Night Owl Romance

Night Owl Romance
For The Latest In Romance Reviews

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Coffee Time Romance

Coffee Time Romance
Blogging About Romance