Yes, that's right, romance author me, does not celebrate the dreaded "V" Day. Now, admittedly, this didn't start by choice. I've been asked if I put personal things in my writing, and the answer is always, "Very seldom". However, in Timeless Valentine, I stole a real life experience. My introduction to Valentine's Day began with delivering flowers to my high school boyfriend's other girlfriend. Cough.

So, I've kept that tradition. Single or attached, I've never expected, nor received, anything related to Valentine's, parents aside. Oh, and the one year my best friend sent me flowers out of pity. And the hype that is associated with the holiday, I simply do not understand. Perhaps that's my practical side. I'd just as soon forego flowers (which die) for a coffee mug (virtually indestructable and a necessity to late-night writing). I don't like flashy jewelry, it tends to get ruined with horses -- so those commercials for diamonds make me roll my eyes. I'd rather skip the formal night on the town, for a home-cooked meal I don't have to prepare.

It has come to my attention, however, that as a romance author I'm supposed to be celebrating this holiday several times over. That my disassociation with it is somehow... taboo.

In light of that, I'm going to ask you all to share your Valentine's stories over the next week. What did you all do? What was the most special thing you've ever done? How did your significant other show you, you were number one?

Maybe you can inspire me to look at this Valentine's thing in a different light. And if you can, I'll send you a signed copy of Timeless Valentine.

Happy February 14th, everyone!

~Claire
www.claireashgrove.com
www.toristclaire.com

Labels: , , , ,

3 Responses so far.

  1. Actually, my hubby and I skip the flowers and gifts, just because they are so expensive around V-Day. I'd rather get the same flowers cheaper another time of the year :)

    The last couple of years, we haven't celebrated the holiday in a romantic sense, as we've shared it with our son, just spending family time.

    Before that, we've done the theater, dinners (fancy out or at home) etc. All the normal stuff.

    But my most memorable Valentine's day was two years ago. After many years of wanting a family, on Feb. 13th, we'd just learned about the impending birth of our son. We were at a fancy dinner and romantic art exhibit at the museum, talking about how much fun we were having and how we really needed to spend more time doing this activity or that and I said "Next year, we'll go..." and then it hit me. Next year, we'd have a child and life would never be the same. My husband and I sat down on a bench in front of a beautiful painting as the reality that we were finally going to welcome a baby into our lives sunk in. I'll never forget it...and I'll never regret it.

    Happy Valentine's day...

  2. Well, I'm with you on the Valentine thing. I do love flowers though and will accept them every day of the year if someone wants to give them to me. :)

    As for diamonds- I prefer it if someone does the dishes for me-does the laundry-or *gasp* cleans the bathroom now and then. Cheers~

  3. I'm with both Val and Nancy. V-day (I say it like it's associated with WWII or something -because frankly it might as well be) is not a real holiday as far as I'm concerned. Frankly, as far as I'm concerned, if you need a date on the calendar and a lot of commercials to give you ideas of how to tell your loved one that you loved them - then you don't really love them. You show them that with things you do every day.

    THATS REAL ROMANCE, not the Hallmark holiday!

Post a Comment

"Victorians used the term 'limbs' as a euphenism for legs, which were thought to be so sexually exciting to a man, even a glimpse of a table leg could incite him to sexual frenzy. Table skirts were invented to prevent any unnatural unions between men and furniture."
~
(History Channel International)

IMMORTAL TRUST is
AVAILABLE for PRE-ORDER




READ AN EXCERPT

GoddessFish Promotions

Goddess Fish Partner

Night Owl Romance

Night Owl Romance
For The Latest In Romance Reviews

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Coffee Time Romance

Coffee Time Romance
Blogging About Romance